Saturday, February 14, 2009

Creeky and Confused

Today ended my third week of bootcamp. I am sore in areas I didn't know existed. I can't sit or lay in the same position for long periods of time without risking a serious cramp or twitch. When I get up, my body creeks and cracks like an old lady. Class today is at noon. I woke up at 9:30 thanks to a stupid telemarketer and it was bright sunshine and snowing. What do you call that? When we lived in Hawaii and the sun was out while raining they called it, pineapple juice. Silly, but appropriate. So what would you call sun and snow at the same time? Shave Ice?

Okay - sorry, sidetracked. So I was very tired this morning...could have very easily gone back to sleep. But I show up and as usual I'm the first to arrive. My other 5 cohorts in pain show up and we end up doing spinning sprints and jumps followed by ubiquitous push-ups and lunges because clearly we didn't work out legs enough while spinning.

Then we get back on the bikes after lunging and push-ups because clearly we don't need our legs anymore - legs must be numb. So we did hills. At a certain point doing hills I honestly thought I was going to break down and start crying. I was trying to channel my inner Lance Armstrong saying to myself over and over, "I'm in the Alps, isn't it pretty?". I manage to find some inner motivation to finish the climb up the hill and then we have to finish the day with 60 bicep curls and 60 triceps.

After I finished I felt really good and it seemed the hour went by really fast. It clearly did not seem that way in the moment, but push-ups are getting "easier". My ultimate goal is to do boy push-ups, not girl ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I have a bit of a strange dilemma. I used to have a MySpace account, but there are too many strange people who post inappropriate spams to your account so I took it down. Other people asked me to join Facebook which is more private than MySpace, so I did. I went to 3 different high schools. I get "friended" by a lot of people that I can't remember. So I have a lot of random "friends". I also find it odd that after 20 some odd years these people want to "friend" me. It's really just wanting to compare lives and see how people have aged. I don't have any photos of myself because I'm not thrilled with the way I look these days (hence the bootcamp) AND because there are certain people over the years that I am not so keen in looking me up again.

So I work with a man that I will call A. I have conversed with A since I started my new job in July. A has been with the company a little bit longer than me and is in a Director role. I was able to go to headquarters in December for some training and met A and those on his team. They were very cool to me and we did lunch and then drinks and dinner. From then, I invited A and his team to my network via LinkedIn. LinkedIn is like Facebook for professionals. Not long after I made my request, I got an email from A asking if I was on Facebook. Now, due to some lessons learned over the years, I try now to keep my work "friends" separate from my social "friends". AND I didn't exactly want someone from my current company in a higher position than myself seeing my status updates and other silly things I chose to post to my Facebook account. I already have felt like I have to censor myself in my blog at times and I didn't want to do so on Facebook. But, how do you say no? So to his question of am I on Facebook, I simply answered "yes". Then, I get an email a few days later saying he didn't believe me because he couldn't find me and asked if I would "friend" him. So...feeling a bit of pressure I did.

While I really like A - he's very intelligent, good-looking, he's probably in his 50s and has a kid in college. I might be interested in him if we didn't work for the same company and the fact that I do work with him regularly. On Facebook, there is an internal IM system. On a few occasions A has IM'd me via Facebook asking what I'm up to and such. Then recently he's started IM'ing me at work. Recently he IM'd me at work and I couldn't tell if he was interested in me as a friend or more than a friend. I've been out of "the game" for such a long time, I can't tell when I'm being flirted with or not. So I always assume the person is not. Until this week. Monday, I get an IM from A who has read one of those stupid quizzes I filled out on Facebook and references it. So we have a bit of banter back and forth and then he says, "I think if you lived here, we could have a lot of fun". Okayyyyyyy. What do I say to this? Especially as he's chosen to say this via our work IM and not Facebook IM. So I just say, thanks. THEN, Friday I get a V-Day IM from him.

Sigh...seriously? I am not sure what to think about this or really what to do. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone has an admirer!!!!

Move to his state and be closer to us???!!! :)