Sunday, May 20, 2007

There's No Counting in Accounting...

I'm freaking out...I have just spent a 1/2 of a gorgeous day inside reading my accounting textbook trying to understand what the hell it is saying and then attempted to do a few of the assigned homework problems...well, I'm officially stupid. (I'm sure some of you are saying, it's been official as long as we've known you). I don't get it. I don't understand how reading a textbook is going to explain to me how and where I input numbers on various statements to get them to add up. I'm so confused as accounting feels like learning another language. There are 3 or 4 different names for the same stupid thing.

At least with the crappy MIS class, I could fake it. I could BS my way through technology infrastructure blah blah. You can't fake it with numbers - they are either right or wrong. It's very black and white. This is the reason I take my taxes to a professional. The fact that a debit and credit actually doesn't mean what I have historically thought they meant is difficult to wrap my brain around. I'm really scared. Out of my grad school team, none of us has any background or real world experience with accounting. And I'll admit, maybe I'm making this way too difficult, but I just don't get it. I'm not smart enough to pass this class...I was feeling good after these first two classes. Yes, they were a ton of busy work, but I busted my ass and put in the time and effort and it paid off with "A"s. With Accounting, I'm not sure even if I bust my ass it will pay off. I feel like I did in undergrad when I had to take all of those damn chemistry classes and that no matter how hard I tried, got tutored, I still never got it and barely passed each class. I think I need the Idiots Guide to Accounting...I don't think I can handle a MBA level accounting course...I don't think I can handle a remedial accounting course.

Sigh...on another note: I have to go to Utah for work. Utah - I've never been. I doubt I will get to see much of it. I have to spend a week at one of our client sites to be a "subject matter expert" during a solution upgrade conversion. Yeah...I have no idea what that means either. I think that basically it means I'll be in some hospital in Utah standing beside a nurse who is trying to input some data on a patient and expects me to know what to do if she gets stuck - god help me if it's our surgical or emergency room solutions. Knowing my luck, I'm going to be stuck on the night shift - 7pm - 7am shift and I'll end up in that hospital because I'll be psychotic from lack of sleep!

At least I have a few things to look forward to this summer. One of my friends that I used to work with, SW, invited me to join her for the weekend in L.A. in June. She's going to be out there on business anyways and called to ask if I could come and hang out. It's been ages since I've seen her as she lives in Miami, and I've never been to L.A., so I'm super excited!

Then, Mom and her fluff-dog Coco will be coming in town...more than likely sometime around the 4th...at least Memorial Day is around the corner and I can have a day off. The weather here has been amazing...hope it holds for that weekend. But, who am I kidding...it's not as if I'll have any major outdoor plans that require good weather. I'm sure I'll be sleeping, catching up on tivo or studying. Oh well, SFW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does the accounting class have you in groups, too? I know you said all of you are non-accounting people, but find someone who has a better grasp than you and cling for dear life.

Utah, huh. Maybe you'll find a hot Mormon guy.