Thursday, March 01, 2007

Tape Worm

It's March. It's March 1st. How you say? Time is flying! And what is up with the weather we've been having lately. I swear yesterday, it got up to 60 degrees - quite the change from the land of the ice and snow that we've had lately, then we got a hellacious thunderstorm with hail. Today, it snowed only to be followed by sunshine! I'm looking into the sky waiting on the frogs to show up! I think Tornado Alley is going to be very busy this spring.

Update on grad school: we turned in our first group paper and got a 100% on it! Woot Woot! I don't recall ever being competitive before about grades as I was never really interested in school. In undergrad, school got in the way of my social life. But now as I have no social life, I am killing myself to get a 4.0.

It was supposed to be officially announced today that I have a new boss. My interactions with this person and his organization haven't started off on a great note. Today there was a meeting to "welcome" us to the team. He told us to basically put our heads down, do our work, and shut up. I'm obviously paraphrasing, but the essence is there. He's very big on hierarchy and bureaucracy. He seems to feel both of those are acceptable environments in today's work life.

I was warned by my previous manager that I would not be able to be as open and direct in my feedback as I have always been. Well, I already bit that bitter apple in my first one-on-one conversation with my new manager. He asked for my opinion...and silly me, I gave it. I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Red Tape is my new middle name.

1 comment:

Kara said...

oh Lord, those are the types I hate working for...especially since I can't seem to NOT say my opinion