Tuesday, May 06, 2008

It's the Plumber, I've come to fix the sink

I had to have a plumber come out today to fix my kitchen sink. I have done some minor repairs on my home myself. I was so proud, I even re-grouted tile! But I was too intimidated by the sink - and good thing I didn't do anything as he had to practically take the entire thing apart and put it back together.

So I've started applying for retail jobs to see if I can get a part time job. It's odd. I feel like I'm in the perpetual "weekend" state of mind. I feel like every morning I'm going to wake up and this will be a dream and I'll have a job to go to. It's hard to say I'm unemployed. It's hard to say I've been laid off. I know I wasn't fired, but it really doesn't feel like it. I've lost so much self-confidence and self-worth. I know it's not smart to have my entire identity wrapped around a job, but it is so much of who I am.

I keep thinking about what someone said, that maybe corporate america isn't the place for me...but where is the place for me? I keep trying to figure out if money was no object and I could do and be anything I wanted to in the world, what would it be...I have no idea. I thought I had a plan, getting my MBA, going back into HR. Now I just don't know.

It's easier to know what I don't want. I know I don't want to own my own business. I know I don't want to work retail, I know I don't want to be teacher again (at least right now)...obviously I could go on...I really just don't know what to do anymore. I'm open to suggestions.

No comments: